From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} rdiff-backup: push or pull?
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 21:51:37
1 Grant writes:
2
3 > >> > Can I reserve 0% for root on my USB hard drive which is only
4 > >> > used for backups and does not contain an OS?
5 > >>
6 > >> Yes:
7 > >>
8 > >> mke2fs -m 0 /dev/usb-drive
9 > >
10 > > Although a value > 0 helps against fragmentation. And when
11 > > rdiff-backup has failed because it ran out of space, regressing to
12 > > the previous sane state will need a little free space.
13 >
14 > Good points. Should 10GB (1% of 1TB) do it?
15
16 This I don't know. I use this value for large partitions of multimedia data,
17 because I do not want to waste space (no matter how big the drives are, mine
18 are always quite full), and performance should not be a big issue here. I
19 keep the 5% default other partitions, like /home. BTW, you can also specify
20 fractions like 0.5% if you like.
21
22 Another thing: Be sure to have enough inodes on the file system, I have run
23 out of them in the past. Not only once.
24 Other than the percentage of reserved blocks, which can be changed with
25 tune2fs -m, this value is fixed. If you have too few, you need to re-create
26 the file system.
27
28 Wonko