From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: HACK: Boot without an initramfs / initrd while maintaining a separate /usr file system.
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 02:45:53
1 On 8/5/19 6:28 PM, Jack wrote:
2 > However, I keep wondering if an overlay file system might not be of
3 > some use here. Start with /bin, containing only what's necessary to
4 > boot before /usr is available.
5
6 I wonder how much of what would need to be in the pre-/usr /bin
7 directory can be provided by busybox. (Assuming that busybox is
8 compiled with everything living in / (root).
9
10 > Once /usr is mounted, overlay mount /usr/bin on /bin (or would it be
11 > the other way around?)
12
13 An overlay mount (mount -o bind /usr/bin /bin) would be an additional
14 mount. Which in and of itself is not a bad thing. But the sym-link
15 from /bin -> /usr/bin would avoid the additional mount. Admittedly, you
16 might need one additional (bind) mount somewhere to be able to access
17 the underlay while /usr is mounted.
18
19 Unless....
20
21 ...
22
23 Even bigger hack.
24
25 What if the underlay (/ (root)) file system had the following structure:
26
27 /bin -> /usr/bin
28 /usr/bin -> /.bin
29
30 That would mean that the pre-/usr /bin contents would still be
31 accessible via /.bin even after /usr is mounted. And /bin would still
32 point to /usr/bin as currently being discussed with /usr merge.
37 Grant. . . .
38 unix || die