From: Jason Carson <jason@×××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Atheros kernel driver and my wireless access point setup
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 07:15:58
1 > Jason Carson wrote:
2 >> Hey all,
3 >>
4 >> I think I might know the problem. After doing some reading apparently
5 >> many
6 >> distrutions, including Gentoo, don't ship hostapd with support for the
7 >> nl80211 driver. I checked the Gentoo tarball and this is the case. I
8 >> tried
9 >> editing the defconfig file in hostapd.tar.gz (enabling
10 >> CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y)but when I opened the tarball, edited it, and
11 >> created a new tarball then tried to emerge it it gave me this...
14 >> penguin distfiles # emerge hostapd
15 >> Calculating dependencies... done!
18 >>>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
19 >>>>>
22 >>>>> Emerging (1 of 1) net-wireless/hostapd-0.6.9
23 >>>>>
24 >> Refetching... File renamed to
25 >> '/usr/portage/distfiles/hostapd-0.6.9.tar.gz._checksum_failure_.70f9W1'
28 >> ...and then wanted to download hostapd again.
29 >>
30 >> Anyone know how I edit the source of the hostapd tarball so it will
31 >> work?
35 > What it is doing is correct. The package has been changed and portage
36 > doesn't know if you did it or some random hacker. That said, man ebuild
37 > and check out the manifest section. I have never done this but maybe it
38 > will make sense to you.
39 >
40 > Also, I think emerge used to have the --digest option. Basically it
41 > tells emerge to skip checking the digest. I didn't see it in the man
42 > page so it may not be there anymore.
43 >
44 > Dale
45 >
46 > :-) :-)
49 Hmmmm, I tried emerging hostapd normally and I noticed this...
50
51 * Enabling Wi-Fi Protected Setup support
52 * Enabling drivers:
53 * HostAP driver enabled
54 * Wired driver enabled
55 * Prism54 driver enabled
56 * Madwifi driver enabled
57 * nl80211 driver enabled
58
59 ...which says that nl80211 is enabled, yet the defconfig file in the tar
60 ball shows this line commented out so I am confused as to how I fix my
61 problem...
62
63 #CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y