From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 22:35:12
1 I'll add my anecdotes :)
2
3 On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > In over 10 years, I have never had a file system failure with any of
5 > these (all used a lot):
6 >
7 > ext2
8 > ext3
9 > ext4
10 > zfs
11 > reiser3
12
13 ext2, ext3, ext4, btrfs here.
14
15 ext4 for years (ever since it lost the dev suffix in the kernel)
16 without a single hiccup, and btrfs on a laptop with no battery
17 monitor, meaning the battery would die with no warning (unclean
18 shutdowns x1000) and never had an issue that prevented it from
19 mounting on the next reboot.
20
21 Also have used btrfs on a mobile phone running Mer development
22 snapshots which tends to crash, reboot, freeze and requires the
23 battery pulled, also never failed to remount after that constant
24 abuse.
25
26 btrfs has some features similar to zfs, reiser, lvm, dm... I still
27 haven't decided whether that feature-creep makes me think "oh cool!"
28 or "oh no!" :)
29
30 > I have had failures with these (used a lot):
31 >
32 > Oh wait, there aren't any of those.
33
34 JFS is on my "never again" list, I have used it on a few drives and
35 two of them ended with catastrophic failure after an unexpected
36 shutdown. "journal replay failed" is a phrase I still see in my
37 nightmares... The recovery stripped names from inodes resulting in
38 millions of files like I01039130.RCN or something like that... not
39 sorted into directories or anything, though the timestamps survived,
40 strangely. It has been several years since then and I've avoided JFS
41 ever since.
42
43 I actually had a third JFS incident, but by then I had disabled
44 auto-fsck. I was unable to mount it read-only, but found a shareware
45 tool for OS/2 that was able to recover files from a corrupt JFS
46 volume, complete with filenames and directories. I slapped the drive
47 into an OS/2 machine and it took several DAYS to complete the
48 recovery, but it did in fact complete and I happily sent the guy ten
49 dollars. It looks like nowadays there is an open-source tool for linux
50 called jfsrec which does the same kind of recovery from broken JFS
51 volumes.
52
53 I used XFS on a drive which had a bad cable, and it wound up being
54 unmountable and unfixable by fsck, though (after replacing the cable)
55 I was able to do read-only dump all of the files from it using the xfs
56 utils, after which I reformatted and copied everything back. Can't
57 fault the filesystem for a bad cable but any time fsck is unable to
58 fix an unmountable filesystem, it scares me.
59
60 So, for me the rule of thumb is: ext4 on "important" drives (servers,
61 my main desktop system, RAID array, backups), and btrfs on drives
62 where I'm more willing to experiment and take a chance at something
63 weird happening (laptop, web surfing workstation, mobile phone,
64 virtual machines).