From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Regenerate portage cache from scratch following a big toe crash?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 07:02:20
1 Hi,
2
3 > sitting in my chair that swivels, and guess what...my big toe is at
4 > __exactly__ the height of the main power button on my APC UPS, and
5 > darn if I don't hit it and power is gone!
6
7 Back in the old days I had a trusty desktop 286 which sat on a piece of
8 furniture at approximately knee level, with a very prominent "reset"
9 button on the front panel... need I say more?
10
11 > Can't read cache file
12 > /usr/portage/metadata/cache/x11-libs/pixman-0.18.4: Success
13 > Reading category 146|154 ( 94%): x11-libs ..
14 > Can't read cache file
15
16 > How does a big-toe guy regenerate the database emerge --sync normally
17 > keeps for my machine?
18
19 First make sure all your filesystems are ok (touch /forcefsck and reboot).
20 Second, I am not sure whether eix is complaining about the portage tree
21 metadata (which is rsynced with the rest of the tree and not kept by
22 emerge, so it shouldn't get corrupted) or its own cache.
23 You can regenerate the former locally with emerge --metadata; if it
24 doesn't help (and I don't think it will) I would try deleting the
25 contents of /var/cache/eix and manually running eix-update.
26
27 HTH,
28
29 andrea