From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] java replacement
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 20:58:39
1 On 26/01/2017 03:52, Dale wrote:
2 > Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
3 >> On 01/25/2017 05:03 AM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> The java 8u112 download that the latest oracle java pulls in requires an
6 >>> invasive questionnaire to create an Oracle account to enable the
7 >>> download.
8 >>>
9 >>> I was using iced-tea at one stage but found the android sdk didn’t work
10 >>> well with it - is there a less objectionable java source than oracle
11 >>> that has a compatible java?
12 >>>
13 >>> BillK
14 >> "Why does radio-shack ask for your phone number why you buy batteries!"
15 >>
16 >> Always good to not put up with this crap, I like to feed them
17 >> obviously fake information when I need something from a place that
18 >> insists on doing this.
19 >>
20 >> I purchased some hardware (at a physical store with cash none the
21 >> less) recently and the cashier asked for my information and was
22 >> annoyingly insistent[1] so I gave them "John Smith at 123 1st Street"
23 >> as she audibly sucked her teeth.
24 >>
25 >> The more people put up with this stuff the more bad things will happen
26 >> - two police officers recently were murdered in france because a
27 >> terrorist got their address off the internet and paid them a visit.
28 >>
29 >> [1]I presume they get a bonus for how many marketing
30 >> emails/information they collect.
34 > It's also good to have a email address that you rarely if ever check. I
35 > have one with the words spam, junk and such in it. I like the looks I
36 > get when I give it to them. Generally, they not happy. Thing is, if I
37 > need to confirm something, I can login and confirm it. It is a valid
38 > email addy, I just rarely check it.
39 >
40 > It's odd just how much info they want just so we can be a customer.
41 > Some act like we owe them something.
44 If you own your own domain and sign up for say a bank account at
45 Citibank, give your address as
46
47 i.have.just.been.spammed.by.citibank@×××××××××××.net
48
49 and you will never see spam from that institution :-)
50 I have it on good authority (from friends working there) that local
51 banks etc "grep -v" anything that remotely matches their own name or
52 domain when selling^Wsharing lists with spammers^Wpartners...
55 Now if I can just get my own employer to get it too. Got another of
56 these phone calls today:
57
58 Them: Hi Alan! I'm calling from XYZ mobile network to offer you a great
59 deal!!
60 Me: I work for XYZ mobile network
61 Them: Oh. Our special has great call rates!
62 Me: All my calls are free
63 Them: You get a great phone at a great discount...!
64 Me: I have a top-flight company phone as a tool of trade, plus a
65 notebook, plus a modem plus 2 x 24" hires screens
66 Them: Errrr ... how about a great deal for you wife?
67 Me: The company gives me a second SIM for my spouse, same benefits
68
69 Srsly, that happened. And some people have no idea when they are driving
70 down Hopeless Street :-)
73 Alan McKinnon
74 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com