From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] And so the emerge spake: Let there be conflicts...and see, everything was chaos and sin...
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 15:14:46
1 On Sunday 26 April 2015 15:49:19 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > I disagree. emerge really needs to have it's output redesigned from
4 > scratch. Right now it arrives at the conclusion (the top) and dumps it's
5 > data tree bottom-up, apparently stopping halfway and never getting to
6 > output what the top is.
7
8 This discussion reminds me of an AGR (Advanced Gas-cooled Reactor) power
9 station being commissioned 40-odd years ago, in which a minor plant failure
10 (e.g. a high oil temp in an auxiliary pump) could lead to cascades of other
11 abnormal conditions, making it impossible for a reactor operator to discover
12 the real problem he needed to fix, and ignore all the others. So we put up a
13 second alarm screen alongside the first, showing major causes only; it was
14 populated with the output of an analysis routine that was called whenever an
15 alarm occurred.
16
17 All those decision trees had to be designed and input by hand (on paper tape,
18 like everything else). Not to mention testing, of course. And there were
19 thousands of digital inputs.
20
21 Maybe something like that would be useful here.
24 Rgds
25 Peter