From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: top quotes, html mail, and binary jokes
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:12:51
1 Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 >> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, kashani wrote:
3 >> usefulness for the inarticulate), and top posting (I blame Pine).
4 >
5 > Why?
6
7 The semi-factual answer is because bottom posting was the norm until
8 Pine appeared on the scene or at least that's the story according to
9 apocryphal Internet legend... it might even be true. However I thought
10 the contrast of the simple and unexplained "I blame Pine" against the
11 flowery "a crutch of dubious usefulness for the inarticulate" worked
12 well and added a light tone calculated (in my mind at least) to invite
13 discussion rather than flames. Also the Pine story has been brought up
14 on this list before IIRC so it served the dual purpose of letting those
15 who have been around for the past year know that I actually read these
16 tired, boring discussions.
17
18 All that packed into a simple statement, who knew?
19
20 And while I'm being talkative I'd like to second what Holly and a few
21 others have hinted at. Command of language is essential. As someone who
22 stumbled into the admin/network business nine years ago I can say that
23 my writing and language skills, specifically the lack of either, did far
24 more to hold my career back than any missing technical skills.
25
26 kashani, still trying to get his German, Spanish, and Farsi up to speed
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list