From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] festival usage (possibly OT)
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 16:50:24
1 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > we have several open bugs on app-accessibility/festival and
5 > app-accessibility/speech-tools. These packages have been around for a
6 > long time, and upstream appears, at least so far, to be dead (my
7 > maintainer says that he has been unable to contact them). These
8 > packages are very difficult to maintain, because of their highly custom
9 > build system.
10 >
11 > In accessibility, as far as I am aware, espeak has become the most used
12 > software speech synthesizer. So, if there are not any objections, I am
13 > considering removing festival from the main gentoo portage tree.
14 >
15 > So, what I'm trying to figure out is how popular festival is and what it
16 > is being used for. If you use festival, can you reply to this thread
17 > and give me an idea of how important this package is to you and how
18 > often you use it, etc?
21 Wasn't they going to put speech software on the install CD? I read they
22 was on -dev a while back. If this is not stable and being maintained,
23 how they going to put it on the CD?
24
25 I tried it once, it was cool sounding. Sounded like the voice on War
26 Games, the old movie.
27
28 Dale
29