From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] which linux RAID setup to choose?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 05:45:02
1 hi - i'm to setup my 1st RAID, and i'd appreciate
2 if any of you volunteers some time to share your
3 valuable experience on this subject.
4
5 my scenario
6 -----------
7
8 0. i don't boot from the RAID.
9
10 1. read is as important as write. i don't
11 have any application-specific scenario that
12 makes me somehow favor one over another.
13 so RAIDs that speed up the read (or write)
14 while significantly harming the write (or
15 read) is not welcome.
16
17 2. replacing failed disks may take a week or
18 two. so, i guess that i may have several
19 disks fail one after another in the 1-2
20 weeks (specially if they were bought
21 about the same time).
22
23 3. i would like to be able to grow the RAID's
24 total space (as needed), and increase its
25 reliability (i.e. duplicates/partities) as
26 needed.
27
28 e.g. suppose that i got a 2TB RAID that
29 tolerates 1 disk failure. i'd like to, at
30 some point, to have the following options:
31
32 * only increase the total space (e.g.
33 make it 3TB), without increasing
34 failure toleration (so 2 disk failure
35 would result in data loss).
36
37 * or, only increase the failure tolerance
38 (e.g. such that 2 disks failure would
39 not lead to data loss), without
40 increasing the total space (e.g. space
41 remains 2TB).
42
43 * or, increase, both, the space and the
44 failure tolerance at the same time.
45
46 4. only interested in software RAID.
47
48 my thought
49 ----------
50
51 i think these are not suitable:
52
53 * RAID 0: fails to satisfy point (3).
54
55 * RAID 1: fails to satisfy points (1) and (3).
56
57 * RAIDs 4 to 6: fails to satisfy point (3)
58 since they are stuck with a fixed tolerance
59 towards failing disks (i.e. RAIDs 4 and 5
60 tolerate only 1 disk failure, and RAID 6
61 tolerates only 2).
64 this leaves me with RAID 10, with the "far"
65 layout. e.g. --layout=n2 would tolerate the
66 failure of two disks, --layout=n3 three, etc. or
67 is it? (i'm not sure).
68
69 my questions
70 ------------
71
72 Q1: which RAID setup would you recommend?
73
74 Q2: how would the total number of disks in a
75 RAID10 setup affect the tolerance towards
76 the failing disks?
77
78 if the total number of disks is even, then
79 it is easy to see how this is equivalent
80 to the classical RAID 1+0 as shown in
81 md(4), where any disk failure is tolerated
82 for as long as each RAID1 group has 1 disk
83 failure only.
84
85 so, we get the following combinations of
86 disk failures that, if happen, we won't
87 lose any data:
88
89 RAID0
90 ------^------
91 RAID1 RAID1
92 --^-- --^--
93 F . . . < cases with
94 . F . . < single disk
95 . . F . < failures
96 . . . F <
97
98 F . . F < cases with
99 . F F . < two disk
100 . F . F < failures
101 F . F . <
102 . F F . <
103
104 this gives us 4+5=9 possible disk failure
105 scenarious where we can survive it without
106 any data loss.
107
108 but, when the number of disks is odd, then
109 written bytes and their duplicates will
110 start wrap around, and it is difficult for
111 me to intuitively see how would this
112 affect the total number of scenarious
113 where i will survive a disk failure.
114
115 Q3: what are the future growth/shrinkage
116 options for a RAID10 setup? e.g. with
117 respect to these:
118
119 1. read/write speed.
120 2. tolerance guarantee towards failing
121 disks.
122 3. total available space.
123
124 rgrds,