From: Roman Naumann <roman_naumann@××××××××.fm>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Random failures: lvremove
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 10:17:02
1 Just wanted to let you know, that the error no longer occurs since I updated
2 to lvm2-2.02.63-r1.
3
4 Regards,
5 Roman Naumann
6
7 On Sunday 18 April 2010 12:38:45 Roman Naumann wrote:
8 > Hi,
9 >
10 > I'm using LVM, having / and /home as logical volumes and a backup script
11 > creating a logical snapshot volume of each in the process.
12 >
13 > Since I use gentoo (comming from arch), my backup script fails rather often
14 > with the error message 'Can't remove open logical volume <volume>'. The
15 > script worked fine on arch before. The partition setup did not change.
16 >
17 > Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it just fails.
18 > As a workaround, I let the script just lvremove the snapshot three times
19 > with 5 seconds sleeping between the tries and the overall success rate for
20 > the script improved...
21 > The chance is about 40% lvremove succeeds at a given time and doesn't seem
22 > to in- or decrease when calling lvremove successively with a five second
23 > delay, though if it fails once, it tends to fail again more often if
24 > called within the next two or three seconds.
25 >
26 > Here is an example of the command failing once more after the backup script
27 > aborted. The second time it works. I did NOTHING but the commands listed
28 > below in these 30 seconds or so: (note: dmsetup says "open: 0" in the
29 > first place!)
30 >
31 > kira namor # dmsetup info -c vg-snap_root
32 > Name Maj Min Stat Open Targ Event UUID
33 > vg-snap_root 253 5 L--w 0 1 0 LVM-
34 > ayg5GD1dYyrkkan1pLa8WszI7UrQpy9YE2ynOTtHoSNckKdehm3XMIgkw7p8z69X
35 > kira namor # lvremove /dev/vg/snap_root
36 > Can't remove open logical volume "snap_root"
37 > kira namor # lsof /dev/vg/snap_root
38 > kira namor # fuser -a /dev/vg/snap_root
39 > /dev/vg/snap_root:
40 > kira namor # lvremove /dev/vg/snap_root
41 > Do you really want to remove active logical volume snap_root? [y/n]: y
42 > Logical volume "snap_root" successfully removed
43 >
44 > What I tried so far was:
45 > -> calling: lvchange -an $SNAP_PARTITION #fails iff lvremove fails
46 > -> updating to lvm2-2.02.56-r3 and updating the initramfs #fixes nothing
47 >
48 > I have no idea what causes this random behavior.
49 > Help much appreciated.
50 >
51 > Regards,
52 > Roman Naumann