From: Marc Blumentritt <marc.blumentritt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Best way to copy /* ?
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 15:22:59
1 Hi,
2
3 I have bought myself a Christmas present, a new shiny hard disk. Now I
4 want to copy my old Gentoo system to my new disk like this:
5
6 1.) boot with gentoo boot cd
7 2.) mount my old system ind /old ( / in one partition, /home, /usr,
8 /var, /tmp and /opt in lvm2 volumes and /boot on it's own partition)
9 3.) mount my new disk ind /new (just 2 partitions, 1 for / and 1 for /boot)
10 4.) copy from /old to /new
11 5.) modify fstab and prepare grub
12 6.) reboot
13
14 Concerning step 4: what is the best copy command?
15 I tried with
16
17 cp -a /old/* /new
18
19 but got some problems in /home. My user dir got the wrong permissions (I
20 d'ont know, if this is in some way connected with /home being a mount
21 point). Of course this could be the same in other dirs.
22
23 Is there a better method? I read years ago on this list about using tar
24 with this (piping the tar output into a second tar command, which
25 extracts the files to their final destination).
26
27 Are there other tools? Or did I use cp in a wrong way?
28
29 Regards
30 Marc