From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Any booby-traps with AMD64?
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 03:46:46
1 Bad news... my 1.8 ghz P4 died recently and I'm now running on my
2 emergency backup 6-year-old Dell (450 mhz PIII and 128 megs of RAM).
3 Let's just say that editing 2560 X 1920 digital photos in GIMP is a
4 "rather liesurely" process.
5
6 Good news... Saturday, I'm picking up...
7
8 64bit AMD 3000BP (with SSE3 !!!)
9 AMD 939pin Athlon 64bit 3000+ Retail Box
10 Giga-Byte K8NF-9 MB Firewire A & B
11 2 gigs (OK, so I pigged out) DDR400
12 SATA2 WD1600JS 160G 7200 8M 3G
13 SONY 1.44 Floppy Drive
14 LG 4163B 16X DVD±RW & DVDRAM
15 PCI-E16X ATI X300HyperMem256MTVDV
16 227/206 Tower Case w Power & Front USB
17 Audio, Gigabit Lan, Firewire A & B
18
19 This'll be my first linux install that won't be 32-bit Intel. I've
20 been reading the AMD64 install docs on the Gentoo.org website. The big
21 items I've noticed are...
22 - stick with ext2fs/ext3fs with all other filesystems being unstable
23 - do not enable kernel pre-emption if I want firewire to work
24 - enable 32-bit emulation for some apps
25
26 I notice that the AMD64 Gentoo install manual at
27 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml only lists
28 GRUB. Does LILO not work on AMD64?
29
30 I intend to use the following partition layout...
31 - / 8 gigs
32 - swap 2 gigs
33 - /var 8 gigs
34 - /home gets the rest of the drive. There'll be tons of my garbage
35 under /home/misc. /usr/local and /opt will be symlinks on / with
36 the actual files sitting in /home/misc/local and /home/misc/opt.
37
38 This layout reflects my experiences from my Windows and Redhat days.
39 Keep the OS on its own partition, so you can blow away and re-install or
40 install the next version as required.
41
42 Anything else to watch for when installing on AMD64?
45 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
46 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list