From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] many packages are available in gentoo?
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:43:41
1 On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:50:17 +0800
2 W.Kenworthy wrote:
3
4 > Not sure that is an official site ...
5 >
6 > The question came from a couple of posts where debian is showing ~17000
7 > packages and Fedora a couple of thousand less. They were bemoaning the
8 > size of the install media.
9
10 Don't these people have access to the worldwideintarwebthingy? why
11 download media you don't need? just install the packages you want over a
12 network.
13
14 Where does the thousands come from with fedora? I count 965 source rpms
15 on a fedora mirror i looked at.
16
17 on the same mirror there were 1483 binary rpm's. of those 299 have
18 "devel" in the filename, so will have been from a "split" build - ie one
19 foo.src.rpm may become foo.i386.rpm, foo-devel.i386.rpm,
20 foo-xorg.i386.rpm, foo-doc.i386.rpm etc.
21
22 This filter shows me how many binary rpm's have unique names up the the
23 first hyphen, :
24
25 grep i386.rpm fedora.filelist |cut -d- -f1|sort|uniq|wc -l
26
27 which gives 693 - but I don't know if thats an accurate way to tell if a
28 built package comes from the same source package.
29
30 But my real question is - how do you get thousands of fedora packages?
31 so you have to scratch around private repositories looking for the ones
32 with the stuff you want?
36 >The difference between distros is most
37 > likely little used packages, and the fact that rpm's for instance split
38 > headers and sometimes aux functions into separate packages,
39 > approximately doubling the package count. I presume debian do the same.
40
41 yes they do. usually called -dev rather than -devel from what i can see.
44 > billk
47 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list