From: Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kolab questions
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 06:40:37
1 Hi James,
2
3 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> writes:
4
5 > Hello,
8 > I just found this page:
9 >
10 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/kolab/
11 >
12 > Groupware is the general category. My questions are:
13 >
14 > Has anyone installed this and if so how do you like it?
15
16 As I'm the maintainer of the project: I installed it and I liked
17 it. But I lack an objective view ;)
21 > Would one run a traditionally sendmail/postfix server and
22 > then serve mail/data to the this Kolab groupware server?
23 > Being able to serve mail/data to a variety of client PC
24 > would be great.
25
26 You can also use such a relay setup but Kolab is a full mail server
27 for itself. It actually comes with postfix.
31 > I'm not too familiar with groupware, but I've been asked to
32 > build a website/system for lots of coaches, kids and others to
33 > use related to a particular sport. Maybe Kolab would be a good
34 > communications/email system for them?
35
36 Yes, Kolab might be quite good in that area. Especially if stuff like
37 resource booking and event planning is involved.
38
39 What might not be too good is to base this on Gentoo. The
40 Kolab2/Gentoo project is still rather experimental. If you need to
41 serve customers you are still better of with the far more stable
42 Kolab2/OpenPKG (http://www.kolab.org).
43
44 Cheers,
45