From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge firefox-52.4.0 compile failure
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2017 17:03:08
1 On 2017-10-08, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 8 October 2017 03:51:41 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> When I did my usual update today firefox 52.4.0 failed to build.
4 >> There are thousands of compiler warnings in the build log, but the
5 >> only thing I can find that looks like an error is this:
6
7 [...]
8
9 >> Google provides zero hits for any of those three errors.
10
11 > Your compiler is barfing at something, but I'm no coder to know what
12 > this might be.
13
14 Yes, thanks, those are g++ compiler error messages. I could track
15 down and fix the problem in the source code, but since it's a "stable"
16 system, and firefox builds fine on other systems, I should have to do
17 that.
18
19 > In a Gentoo context, I'd start by checking you have installed and
20 > switched to sys-devel/gcc-5.4.0-r3
21
22 Yep, I'm using gcc-5.4.0-r3. There were 20+ other packages that got
23 built in that same upgrade, and they all went fine.
24
25 > which is the latest stable version and at least here compiled and
26 > installed firefox-52.4.0 on 4 PCs without a problem.
27
28 As have I.
29
30 I was afraid it might be failing RAM, but a second attempt failed in
31 exactly the same way. I guess I'll delete the ebuild files and the
32 source tarball to force a download and then try again.
35 Grant