From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 02:07:06
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
5 >> So, same card as a year or so ago and same everything else but now I
6 >> get only about 1/10th the frame rate. What gives? Is this a driver
7 >> issue?
8 >>
9 > Is OpenGL working at all? Does glxinfo produce lots of output, with
10 > 'direct rendering: Yes' near the top? If not, your're using software
11 > rendering, all is done by the CPU, not the GPU.
12 >
13 > Wonko
16 That's what I am thinking. I notice here lately that my CPU is being
17 used a LOT more then it used to when playing videos or something. I
18 recently changed kernels and nvidia drivers, the kernel upgrade forced
19 me to upgrade nvidia. It appears to have gotten worse with each
20 upgrade. This is what I got from these two commands:
21
22 root@smoker / # eselect opengl list
23 Available OpenGL implementations:
24 [1] nvidia *
25 [2] xorg-x11
28 root@smoker / # glxinfo
29 name of display: :0.0
30 display: :0 screen: 0
31 direct rendering: Yes
32 server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
33 server glx version string: 1.4
34 server glx extensions:
35 GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
36 GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
37 GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer
38 client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
39 client glx version string: 1.4
40 client glx extensions:
41 GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
42 GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
43 GLX_NV_swap_group, GLX_NV_video_out, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
44 GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
45 GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float,
46 GLX_EXT_fbconfig_packed_float, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
47 GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_NV_present_video
48 GLX version: 1.3
49 GLX extensions:
50 GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
51 GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
52 GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer,
53 GLX_ARB_get_proc_address
54 OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
55 OpenGL renderer string: GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
56 OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.25
57 OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
58
59 <<SNIPPED??
60
61 It says direct rendering is working but it sure doesn't act like it. I
62 watched a video a bit ago and although it was a small thing, only took
63 about 20% of my screen, it used just about all the CPU power. It didn't
64 do that a few months or so ago. It used to take only 25% or so to do a
65 full screen video. This is really weird.
66
67 I did take the side off my case a hour or so ago. I took my air tank
68 and blew it out pretty good. I also checked to make sure the fan was
69 turning on the video card chip. It was spinning fine and I could feel a
70 little bit of air. It's a small fan so I wasn't expecting a tornado or
71 anything. Anyway, after blowing it out AND generating a xorg-conf with
72 nvidia's program, I get this:
73
74 root@smoker / # glxgears
75 Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
76 approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
77 2932 frames in 5.0 seconds = 586.390 FPS
78 1260 frames in 5.7 seconds = 222.873 FPS
79 2 frames in 7.6 seconds = 0.263 FPS
80 2 frames in 8.0 seconds = 0.249 FPS
81 2 frames in 7.6 seconds = 0.264 FPS
82 2 frames in 7.7 seconds = 0.259 FPS
83 XIO: fatal IO error 22 (Invalid argument) on X server ":0.0"
84 after 58 requests (58 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
85 root@smoker / #
86
87 Well, if it wasn't bad enough before, it is really bad now. The first
88 couple were when the window was really small. I adjusted it to full
89 screen which is where the 0.2 FPS comes in. That used to be about 30 or
90 so a while back.
91
92 This is with the nvidia generated xorg.conf file. I'm going back to my
93 hand made one. It seems to be a little better.
94
95 Any ideas as to why everything says it is working but it isn't?
96
97 Dale
98