From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] modifying iptables: how can I prevent locking me out?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:21:36
1 On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 00:28:32 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Maybe I'm just paranoid, or maybe I just screwed up myself too many
4 > times, but I'd feel safer with cron for this. Cancelling it when done
5 > is equally easy whether cron or at
6
7 But to cancel the cron job, you'd have to edit crontab, then you'd have
8 to remember to restore the crontab before trying another rule.
9
10 I'd use a script to
11 Backup working rules
12 Set up at (or cron if you prefer extra work) to restore old rules
13 Load new rules
14
15 Otherwise, the one time you forget to schedule a return to the old rules
16 in the one time you lock yourself out.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
23 I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
24 I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
25 All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last
26 week. Time to die.