From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About this graphite stuff
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:59:05
1 victor romanchuk writes:
2
3 > Alex Schuster wrote, at 01/29/2012 11:23 PM:
4 > > What are your impressions on this? Is it fun? Will there be a
5 > > noticeable speed difference? Do packages fail to build? We just had a
6 > > 'Graphite causing trouble' thread here, the problem was that
7 > > dev-libs/cloog-ppl has to be rebuilt when dev-libs/ppl has been
8 > > updated. Can there be other problems, which would make me waste much
9 > > more time than I could possibly gain by using these optimizations?
10 >
11 > i'm using graphite on core-i7 (950), x86_64 since the release of
12 > gcc-4.4.5 and consider it as 'just fun' - i did not observe significant
13 > speed difference but it should depend on a software you're going to
14 > 'graphitize'. things installed on my desktop are mostly for development
15 > (emacs, gdb, *sql, php, perl) with trivial multimedia (mplayer with
16 > gnome frontend), a set of web browsers and ordinary office framework:
17 > thunderbird, pidgin and libreoffice
18
19 I'm a KDE user, and it always felt too slow, so I thought about giving
20 graphite a try. Now, with the new machine, it is faster, and with 16 GB
21 of RAM swapping no longer occurs. So there is no longer a need for more
22 optimization, but I'm emerging -e @world anyway, so I think I'll just try
23 it.
24
25 > just for reference these are CFLAGS from my /etc/make.conf:
26 >
27 > CFLAGS="-O2 -g0 -march=core2 -msse4 -mcx16 -mpopcnt -msahf \
28 > -ftree-loop-distribution -ftree-loop-linear -mmmx \
29 > -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -pipe"
30 >
31 > i do not use 'native' flag because that machine acts as distcc server
32 > for several smaller core-i<x> computers
33
34 That won't be a problem, unless the machine will be a distcc _client_. In
35 this case, your CFLAGS will be sent over to the distcc servers, and they
36 will apply _their_ native settings.
37 Just make sure the smaller computers don't have -march=native in their
38 CFLAGS, as they would get code delivered compiled for the i7.
39
40 > the only graphite incompatibility i've detected is x11-wm/compiz;
41 > however this is easily worked around using portage environment quirks in
42 > /etc/portage/env/x11-wm/compiz:
43 >
44 > CFLAGS="-O2 -g0 -march=core2 -msse4 -mmmx -pipe"
45 > CXXFLAGS=${CFLAGS}
46
47 I don't use that, but I guess in case I experience strange compile
48 problems I can always try to avoid those special CFLAGS, and it might
49 work.
50
51 Thanks for your input on this,
52