From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Postfix broken
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 19:58:20
1 On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 09:57:42PM -0800, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > Some time ago, it appears, postfix stopped working for me. I am no
5 > longer
6 > > able
7 > > to use it to send mail (usually to my ISP, where it gets routed).
10 > Do you actually need a full blown mail server? If you just relay your
11 > mail to your ISP, then you may be able to simplify your life using
12 > something like nbsmtp.
13 >
14 > I used to take mail locally, via sendmail, since I stopped using uucp
15 around 1987. When I found out about postfix, it
16 was good riddance to those re-write rules. Then I simplified by sending it
17 all to the ISP so I now have just 3 mail spools:
18 1) gmail for all my mailing lists because they'll let me spool forever it
19 seems -- my quota is over 7GB and
20 I'm using maybe 30% after about 8 years. This is stuff were privacy doesn't
21 matter to me.
22 2) My ISP, because it's more reliable than I can do at home.
23 3) Work, which I can't avoid.
24
25 At home I stuck to Postfix because until now it never gave me a lick of
26 trouble. I'm pretty old and no longer
27 get much joy out of learning yet another tool for its own sake. It's gotta
28 be LOTS better than what I have. In the
29 last year I've only taken on m4, Fireworks and Dreamweaver. There are good
30 enough reasons for each.
31
32 If I were a few decades younger, this would have been good advice, so thanks
33 for the tip.
36 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD