From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lvm2/external partitions question
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:32:53
1 On 8/29/05, W.Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > My scheme is:
3 > 100 M /boot on ext3 (I was going to store some other info there, but
4 > its mostly "space" att)
5 >
6 > 2G swap
7 >
8 > 4G reiserfs with a complete, basic gentoo rescue install - if all goes
9 > pear shaped, I have a backup including a functioning /boot on this
10 > partition. Particularly useful with things like a gateway: you can come
11 > up on the rescue partition and provide near normal service/network
12 > access while fixing the main problem in a chroot etc. Maintenance of
13 > this partition is done offline in a chroot so other than an occasional
14 > test, its rarely run in its own right.
15 >
16 > 4G / on reiserfs with /etc, /root etc
17 >
18 > remainder (200G is below, and on my main desktop system similarly
19 > arranged I have 200G + an extra 60G drive) is all LVM
20 > containing /home, /var, /tmp and /usr.
21 >
22 > This system is mainly a LAMP server/gateway for a home network. it also
23 > contains mostly file storage and backups in /home
24 >
25 > moriah ~ # df -h
26 > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
27 > /dev/hda5 3.8G 2.2G 1.6G 59% /
28 > udev 252M 2.6M 249M 2% /dev
29 > cachedir 3.8G 2.2G 1.6G 59% /lib/splash/cache
30 > /dev/vg1/usr 32G 5.9G 27G 19% /usr
31 > /dev/vg1/var 48G 2.3G 46G 5% /var
32 > /dev/vg1/tmp 16G 33M 16G 1% /tmp
33 > /dev/vg1/opt 4.0G 169M 3.9G 5% /opt
34 > /dev/vg1/home 77G 26G 52G 34% /home
35 > none 252M 0 252M 0% /dev/shm
36 > /dev/hda1 92M 18M 69M 21% /boot
37 > /dev/hda3 3.8G 1.7G 2.1G 46% /mnt/hda3
38 > moriah ~ #
39 >
40 > There are probably performance issues, but they are not noticeable in
41 > practise. hdparm actually shows a slight speed advantage for the LVM
42 > partitions, but there are also error messages so I dont really trust it!
43 >
44 > BillK
47 Thanks Bill,
48 That's very helpful. To test my understanding
49
50 /dev/hda1 - boot - 100M
51 /dev/hda2 - swap - 2G
52 /dev/hda3 - NOT CLEAR - the backup/rescue install?
53 /dev/hda4 - LVM - 200G
54 /dev/hda5 - root - 4G
55
56 So you've placed pretty much the bulk of the machine in LVM and it's
57 working well for you. That's cool.
58
59 Could you possibly share a bit from your grub.conf file as well as
60 your fstab file? I think with that info I'd be pretty confident when I
61 do the build tomorrow morning.
62
63 Thanks,
64 Mark