From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} anyone tried egroupware?
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 21:07:26
1 On Friday, December 21, 2012 12:21:48 PM Grant wrote:
2 > >>>>Has anyone tried egroupware? Any opinions on it?
3 > >>>>
4 > >>>>- Grant
5 > >>>>
6 > >>> Yes. I have been using the community version for several years.
7 > >>>
8 > >>> Originally for the calendar and addressbook. But gradually been using
9 > >>> the other stuff as well apart from that website module. (not logged in
10 > >>> at the moment. Can't check the actual name)
11 > >>>
12 > >>> I quite like it. It does what it says on the box.
13 > >>> It's also easy to set up when you have some experience with other
14 > >>> webapps. Integrates well with Kontakt from KDE and probably also others
15 > >>> (but can't comment on it)
16 > >>>
17 > >>> Is there anything in particular you want to know about it?
18 > >>>
19 > >>> --
20 > >>> Joost
21 > >>
22 > >> I'm just trying to figure out if it's something I should investigate.
23 > >> A thread like this with people whose opinions I trust saying they like
24 > >> it is extremely helpful. :)
25 > >
26 > > Is there any specific functionality you are looking for?
27 > > If yes, we can check if it has it for you.
28 >
29 > Actually I've never used groupware before and I'm hoping to figure out
30 > which of these packages is most highly recommended and then give it a
31 > try. tine20 and egroupware have demos I'm experimenting with.
32
33 Use the one you end up feeling most comfortable with and that provides you
34 with the functionality and usability that is important to you.
35
36 I quite like the usual stuff (email, calendar, addressbook, todolist) and
37 extra stuff (projects, bug/feature/support/.... tracker, wiki, knowledgebase,
38 bookmarklist) that is in egroupware and the seamless way in which all these
39 are integrated together and where you can easily link different items
40 together.
41 (Can't link directly to an email, but you can add an email to the "infolog"
42 which can then be linked and/or converted to a todo-item, project, .....)
43
44 There are a few things I still want to experiment with, including something I
45 think will allow me to automatically create certain items from emails. For
46 instance, an email to " support@×××××××.com " would be either merged into an
47 existing support-call or a new call created depending on some filter.
48
49 But that is something I'll play with over the next few months :)
52 Joost