From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best way to improve interactivity with heavy disk activity?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 16:11:59
1 Am 27.11.2010 11:58, schrieb Adam Carter:
2 >
3 > My immediate reaction was to consider the recent "200-line patch to
4 > kernel => superkernel" thread:
5 > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/221770
8 > As well as following Florian's instructions there (it helps a lot), you
9 > should run 2.6.36 as there have been improvements in the last few kernel
10 > releases, and you should have the timer frequency (CONFIG_HZ) set to
11 > 1000 if you dont already.
12
13 If the basic cgroup setup is not enough, you can also give cgroups
14 guaranteed throughput. Please look here:
15
16 http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/06/manage-your-performance-with-cgroups-and-projects.html
17
18 Don't forget that you need to use the CFQ scheduler and enable "CFQ
19 Group Scheduling support" as well. The latter option only appears when
20 you enable cgroup support. So don't forget to double check that option.
21
22 I think with 2.6.37, you can also set maximums. That might also be
23 useful. Just limit your I/O intensive batch jobs to something like disk
24 throughput minus 3 MB/s.
25
26 Disclaimer: I have no experience with any of these approaches.
27
28 Hope this helps,
29 Florian Philipp