From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Console won't un-blank
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 22:17:59
1 On Thursday 17 Oct 2013 21:02:13 Michael J. Barillier wrote:
2 > If I leave my laptop unattended (at a console, not X) and the screen
3 > blanks, pressing a key won't un-blank the terminal. As a test, I ssh'ed
4 > into the laptop and ran:
5 >
6 > # setterm -blank poke >/dev/tty$N
7 >
8 > (as root, for the current/active TTY) which according to the man page
9 > should restore the screen - no response. Also tried chvt but that
10 > didn't work either. Any suggestions on where to look to see why the
11 > terminal won't restore? Is this a kernel config (ACPI?) issue, or an
12 > agetty issue?
13
14 Have you tried specifying these commands on the kernel line?
15
16 consoleblank=0 noclear
17
18 The former is AFAIK equivalent to setterm -blank 0 but takes effect right from
19 the beginning of the boot sequence; the latter prevents blanking out of the
20 console boot messages just before the login prompt is shown.
21
22 One of those might help.
25 Regards,
26 Peter