From: Justin Findlay <justin@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with Emerge
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 05:15:45
1 On AD 2006 September 07 Thursday 11:11:46 PM -0400, Bill Six wrote:
2 >Hi,
3 >
4 >3 days ago I just switched back to Gentoo after not using it for
5 >about 6 months.
6 >
7 >However, I've been having issues emerging packages. Frequently,
8 >the build will crap out and I'll get something like the
9 >following. Any idea why this happens?
10
11 If you're getting the compiler segmentation fault on many packages at
12 random times you probably have bad hardware. The causes I've seen for
13 this are bad or intermittently bad ram/other hardware, or hardware
14 failure over a certain temperature. The first can be easily diagnosed
15 with memtest86+ as once the probe hits bad sectors you'll know about it.
16 The second is much more difficult to track down but not impossible. If
17 your compiler is segfaulting once the CPU hits a certain temperature,
18 then you can verify this is going on by emerging a package and watching
19 the temperature and observe at which temperature the compiler segfaults.
20 Older Athlons run pretty hot. If this is your case you may want to buy
21 the expensive silver heat sink compound. As for OS problems I don't
22 know what to say except that this may be a sign not to run -mm or better
23 patch sets and expect things to be stable. (: At least all the critical
24 ebuilds should filter out insanity CFLAGS.
27 Justin
30 You have 1 Moderator Point! Use it or lose it!
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list