From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 13:35:45
1 On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:41 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 > <<< SNIP >>>
4 >> I'm a little confused: you log in KDE as a regular user, open a
5 >> Konsole, type "su -", and what happens?
6 >>
7 >> What do you mean with "Konsole won't even try to come up"?
8 >>
9 >> In the shell that Krusader provides (which I assume you run as a
10 >> regular user), what it's the result of "which su"? And also, what
11 >> happens when (inside the shell from Krusader) you run /bin/su?
12 >>
13 >> If not for the fact that you say that in a virtual console su works, I
14 >> would be willing to suggest that your initramfs never does the
15 >> switch_root, and so you end up with the minimal / from the initramfs,
16 >> and your normal /usr. That would be beyond bizarre, but if you *can*
17 >> use su in a virtual console, then it should be there.
18 >>
19 >> I usally log in in GNOME, open a gnome-terminal, and set a fixed
20 >> number of tabs in gnome-terminal where I "su -", and work as root in
21 >> there. I also can run an X11 program as root with "su -lc
22 >> /usr/bin/gedit", but I almost never do that (although it works; I just
23 >> checked).
24 >>
25 >> I don't think I understand how do you use su. Could you explain it to
26 >> me, please?
27 >>
28 >> One last thing: create a  directory /tmp/whatever, and inside it
29 >> unpack your initramfs:
30 >>
31 >> zcat /boot/init-thingie | cpio -i
32 >>
33 >> Could you do a "ls -R /tmp/whatever" so we can see what actually ends
34 >> up in yout initramfs?
35 >>
36 >> Regards.
39 > Actually, I log into KDE as a user and when Konsole opens, it asks for
40 > the root password.  I have the KDE session saved so it opens all this on
41 > its own.  Anyway, since I have it set that way, Konsole never opens, I
42 > assume because it can't find the su command.  I have been doing it this
43 > way since back in the KDE3 days.  It has never done this before.
44
45 Oh, I see; so you always use an X terminal as a root session. You
46 never use a terminal as a regular user? I have never been able to do
47 that.
48
49 > I finally got around to rebooting to check on this, hence the delay in
50 > replying, and found this in the boot up process, the stuff that scrolls
51 > up the screen.  I'm having to type this in since it is NOT in dmesg or
52 > the logs but just printed on the screen.
55 > dracut: switching root
56 > switch_root: failed to mount moving /dev to /sysroot/dev: Invaild argument
57 > switch_root: forcing unmount of /dev
58 > switch_root: failed to unlink dev: Directory not empty
59 > INIT: version 2.88 booting
60
61 Do you have /dev listed in your fstab? Actually, can you show us your
62 /etc/fstab file?
63
64 > Keep in mind, the three middle lines with the problems are NOT shown in
65 > dmesg, messages or anywhere else but the screen.  I had to boot with nox
66 > to even see this.  This is what ticks me on this mess.  With the way it
67 > logs things, you better hope you got video buffer to scroll up with or
68 > you don't get to see the failure.
69
70 Add this to your kernel command line:
71
72 rd.debug rd.udev.debug
73
74 Also, remove quiet and splash (if any) from the kernel command line.
75 All this info is in the dracut man pages:
76
77 man dracut
78 man dracut.cmdline
79
80 > Also, while booted with the init thingy, I made sure the real /
81 > partition was mounted.  It shows sda3 was mounted and based on the space
82 > used, I believe it.  I got to clean out some old kernels pretty soon.  ;-)
83
84 Yeah, but it is mounted as it should? As I said last mail, could you
85 check if in the shell that Krusader provides, what it's the result of
86 "which su"? And also, what happens when (inside the shell from
87 Krusader) you run /bin/su?
88
89 Also, an "ls -l /bin/su" would be helpful (even from the virtual
90 console: Ctrl+Alt+F1); it may be a permissions related thing. I think
91 you can make that "ls /bin/su"; it seems that you have "ls" aliased to
92 "ls -l".
93
94 The listing of your initramfs seems fine; therefore, probably the
95 problem is elsewhere. Again, please show us your fstab, and lets also
96 see your kernel command line (in either GRUB, GRUB2 or LILO, whichever
97 you use). And, I repeat, if you want to see the dracut output in
98 dmesg, add the following to your kernel command line:
99
100 rd.debug rd.udev.debug
101
102 and remove "splash" and "quiet" from it, if they are set.
103
104 Regards.
105 --
106 Canek Peláez Valdés