From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Separate /usr partition
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 17:04:57
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I'm thinking of separating /usr onto its own partition so that I can have it
5 > mounted read-only except while updating it. I'd prefer not to have to make an
6 > init thingy, not having needed one up to now. Besides, some machines have
7 > things like early-ucode or amd-uc.
8 >
9 > I've found a few guides on the Web, but I'm still confused. Is there a simple
10 > guide to doing this? I know of at least one subscriber here who's done it. :)
14 I read the other replies but want to add this.  I use grub for my boot
15 loader.  I use dracut to build the init thingy.  It's really easy and I
16 only had a bad init thingy once very early on, could have been my fault
17 and most likely was.  Since then, updating a kernel takes a lot longer
18 than building the init thingy and updating grub.  To be honest, if the
19 linux link is pointing to the right kernel, one could likely script the
20 dracut and grub update part.  My point is, if you want to be sure you
21 can boot without resorting to some rescue options, I'm sure any of us
22 would help walk you through this.  I actually have notes and I think it
23 was Neil that shared his command and it is just plain easy.  So far,
24 Neil's command has not failed me once.  I do mine by hand.  I name my
25 own kernels and the init thingy as well.  Others have what is most
26 likely a even easier and less time consuming method.
27
28 You may can do it the way you are wanting to but for how long is the
29 question.  Odds are high that at some point, you will have a system that
30 won't boot because something that's needed isn't there.  I think Rich
31 points that out pretty good.
32
33 Just something to think on from a guy that really hates the init
34 thingy.  ;-)
35
36 Dale
37