From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32GB RAM and Swap
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 20:29:28
1 Raphael MD wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > Could I turn my Linux swap off.
5 > I have 32 GB of RAM memory, I suppose my system don’t need swap,
6 > because I’vea lot of RAM, is this true?
7 >
8 > Thanks
9 > --
10 > M.S. Raphael Mejias Dias
11 > ​Nuclear Engineer | Reactors
12 >
13 > Secure e-mail: raphael.mejias.dias@××××××××××.com
14 > <mailto:raphael.mejias.dias@××××××××××.com>
15 > PGP Key for raphaxx@×××××.com <mailto:raphaxx@×××××.com>:
16 > https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x87BC5A746072F951
19 As some know, I've had occasions where some program would eat up a lot
20 of memory.  I've had a time or two where I had to shutdown or it crashed
21 itself.  The offender varies.  Once it was Firefox, huge problem there
22 but seems OK now.  Right now, sddm is going off the end.  For that
23 reason, I actually increased my swap space.  It gets really slow to
24 respond when it uses swap but it beats crashing.  Just set swapiness to
25 a low number.  I think mine is set to 10.
26
27 Given the cheapness of hard drives, I'm not sure why having several
28 gigabytes of swap space is of much concern.  I have the same amount of
29 ram as you and I have a 12GB swap space.  I use LVM so I can grow it if
30 needed or just add another swap space.  I might add, I've seen times
31 where it gets used.
32
33 If you have not had swap touched in a very long time, maybe it is safe
34 enough.  Just keep in mind that if some package consumes way more than
35 it should, it can end badly.  The kernel's OOM tool isn't that great in
36 my experience.  Sometimes it does OK, sometimes not.  A couple times, it
37 seemed to not do anything and I got a reboot.
38
39 Dale
40