From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Winter clock change did not happen
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 21:06:54
1 On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday 31 October 2010 17:03:32 Graham Murray wrote:
4 > > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
5 > > > MSWindows changed it to winter time when I eventually booted into it.
6 > > > Gentoo wouldn't show the winter time until I had first booted into
7 > > > MSWindows. If the setting CLOCK="local" is meant to make Gentoo use
8 > the
9 > > > hardware clock like MSWindows does, why it did not behave the same as
10 > > > MSWindows with the DST change?
11 > >
12 > > Gentoo uses the "CLOCK=" value when it boots. It uses this to determine
13 > > the initial system time. If you set to 'UTC' then the appropriate
14 > > timezone offset will be applied. If it is set to 'LOCAL' then Gentoo
15 > > assumes (and it has to) that the HWClock is set to the correct local
16 > > time, including the correct Daylight Saving correction.
17 > >
18 > > So, if Gentoo was running at the time of the clock change then the
19 > > system time would have changed from Summer to Winter time. However, if
20 > > Gentoo was not running and you booted it this morning then it would,
21 > > legitimately, assume that HW Clock had been set to the correct local
22 > > time prior to it be booted. When you booted into MSWindows, it changed
23 > > the time on the HW Clock to be Winter time (ie it put it back 1 hour),
24 > > so that next time you booted into Gentoo the HW clock was set to the
25 > > correct local time. With CLOCK="LOCAL", when you boot for the first time
26 > > after a Summer/Winter time change, Gentoo has no way to telling whether
27 > > or not something else (eg MSWindows or manually via the BIOS setup) has
28 > > already changed the HW clock to Summer/Winter time.
29 >
30 > Thank you Graham for your very detailed reply! I understand now why the
31 > problem exists. I have used the registry change suggested by Nuno on Win7
32 > and
33 > will see what gives next time DST changes. I just hope that it'll work
34 > without having *both* OS shifting the clock by one hour ...
35 >
36 > The more I read this page[1] the more I am tempted to format MSWindows out
37 > of
38 > this box whether the warranty is still valid or not!
39 >
40 > [1] http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html<http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/%7Emgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html>
41 > --
42 > Regards,
43 > Mick
46 You guys had me scared for a bit. But I'm in the USA, where the change
47 happens in
48 the morning of the first Sunday in November, which will be the 7th.
49
50 I can wait.
51
52 ++ kevin