From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] e17 overlay bug
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:45:46
1 > Mike Frysinger - he's a busy man :-) He heads up the gentoo toolchain team, is
2 > a lead kernel dev on the blackfin architecture, recently was (maybe still is)
3 > on the gentoo council. And maintains an e17 overlay.
4 Oh boy. I would donate money to him if I wasn't a poor student and if
5 the dollar wasn't so overvalued related to my national currency ($1
6 was R$1,58 some months ago, but is now R$2,10). By the way, people
7 like him should keep an easy way of receiving anonymous donations. I
8 plan on donating a little money to free software in the future. I
9 think I will donate to national projects, because they are probably
10 more starved than projects in the US, the land where hammers are made
11 of gold.
12
13 >> Also, why are the snapshot ebuilds so horribly outdated?
14 > The snapshot ebuilds are not out of date - the e17 snapshots are :-)
15 It seems (see http://download.enlightenment.org/snapshots/LATEST/)
16 that the latest e17 snapshots are from 2008-09-24. However, last time
17 I checked the e17 overlay (and I can't easily check it now because I
18 am at work), the snapshot ebuilds were a year old or something.
19
20 > If you use e17 svn code, be prepared to act like a dev. That's what the e17
21 > team expects, that's how they build the thing currently and that's the price
22 > we have to pay to get to use that wm.
23 Well, I guess I will stick with Xfce for a while then. After all, it
24 takes something like two more seconds to load (I measured it some time
25 ago, but forgot the results) than e17 on my Athlon XP 2600+, and
26 that's bearable. Also, while I miss e17 power*, the loss of it is also
27 bearable
28
29 > I myself got tired of eternally fiddling with e and have resorted to using kde
30 > until things settle down...
31 KDE?! To go from e17 to KDE is a bit extreme; like "this micro-compact
32 does not fulfill my transportation needs, so I will buy an SUV". Why
33 don't you use Xfce? It is small, fast, lightweight, quite configurable
34 (both by GUI and by text files**), compiles very quickly and has
35 everything I want a DE to have. Have you not thought about it?
36
37 And going off-topic: I mentioned that Gentoo's GCC and Xorg are too
38 old. Do you know if there is any prediction (yes, I know predictions
39 can fail; I am waiting for Debian Lenny since September) for their
40 upgrade? Is there anywhere I can get information like this?
41
42 * A quick example of e17 power is making my TV-viewing program
43 borderless. Programs that are always on top should be borderless to
44 save screen space. Imagine if, for example, the KDE panel had a
45 border.
46
47 ** That "programs with a GUI should also have a command-line
48 interface, and configuration should be accessable via both a GUI tool
49 and text files" should be on Software Engineering 101.
52 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds