From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 06:05:18
1 I have bought an external 5TB Western Digital hard drive
2 that I am going to use mainly for backing up some files
3 in my home directory and carrying a very big files, for
4 example a virtual machine image file, from one computer
5 to another. This hard drive is preformatted with NTFS.
6 Now, I am going to format it with ext4 which probably
7 will take a lot of time taking into account that it is
8 going to be done via USB connection. So, before formatting
9 this hard drive I would like to know if it is still
10 advisable to partition big hard drives into smaller
11 logical ones.
12
13 For about 20 last years, following an advice of my older
14 colleague, I always partitioned all my hard drives into
15 the smaller logical ones and do very well know all
16 disadvantages of doing so. :)
17
18 But what are disadvantages of not partitioning a big
19 hard drive into smaller logical ones?
20
21 Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive
22 into smaller logical ones and why?