From: Bruce Burden <brucegb@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] VFS: Cannot open root device "hda6" or unknown-block(3,6)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 06:11:49
1 Hi gang,
2
3 I have a laptop, originally with Windows. I partitioned the
4 windows space, and installed Gentoo. Fine and well.
5
6 Then I replaced the original hard drive with a new one, and
7 moved the windoze/Gentoo drive to a USB enclosure. I changed the
8 drive specs from "hda0,x" to "hda1,x", and attempted to boot
9 Gentoo in single user mode, by appending a 1 to the GRUB string.
10
11 That seemed to work, but eventually the process fails with
12 the:
13
14 VFS: Cannot open root device "hda6" or unknown-block(3,6)
15
16 message above. Googling about tells me that perhaps the SCSI or
17 the USB subsystems may not be loaded, and that is why the boot
18 process fails. One recommendation was the change the /dev/hdaX
19 notation for the device numerical notation, ie root=0x802.
20
21 Now, I have not (quickly) found the numerical notation,
22 although I did encounter it once upon a time previously. Does
23 this seem like the correct approach? If so, what would be the
24 correct notation for the second drive? As I recall, 0x800 was
25 a SCSI notation?
26
27 My GRUB is:
28
29 default 0
30 timeout 8
31 splashimage=(hd1,5)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
34 title Gentoo Linux 2.6.15
35 root (hd1,5)
36 kernel /boot/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/hda6
37
38 title Windows
39 root (hd1,0)
40 makeactive
41 chainloader +1
42
43 title Failsafe -- Gentoo Linux 2.6.12
44 kernel (hd1,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=nor
45 mal noresume selinux=0 barrier=off nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 3
46 initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initrd
49 and all I have really done is change hd1,X, where originally I
50 had hda0,X...
51
52 I would also like to be able to boot into windoze, and currently
53 all it does is return to the GRUB menu, so clearly something isn't
54 right...
55
56 Thank you,
57 Bruce
58 --
60 "I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
61 - Thuganlitha
62 The Power and the Prophet
63 Robert Don Hughes
66 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list