From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to find the MAC address
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 19:51:44
1 On 04/19/12 15:40, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Hi there!
3 >
4 > How am I supposed to find the MAC address of an ethernet interface? I used
5 > to call ifconfig and grep for HWaddr, but this does not work any more.
6 >
7 > I found the 'old-output' USE flag for sys-apps/net-tools, which brings
8 > back the old behaviour in order not to break old scripts, but I'd like to
9 > know what the new method is that scripts should use.
10
11 `ip link`
12
13 Learning a new command for something so fundamental was annoying, but
14 now I'm much happier.