From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving linux system to another partition
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 15:53:38
1 On Friday 08 June 2007, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Freitag, 8. Juni 2007, Aleksey Kunitskiy wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > Is it safe to move my linux system by using:
6 > > #>cp -rp /mnt/old_part /mnt/new_part
7 > > and approriate changes in grub.conf/fstab on new system location ?
8 >
9 > nope.
10 >
11 > cp -a if you really want to use copy. But doesn't kill that the
12 > ctime/mtime making uninstalling things a pain?
13
14 No.
15
16 cp -a is equivalent to cp -dpPR
17
18 and from the man page:
19
20 -p same as --preserve=mode,ownership,timestamps
21
22 What the OP *will* have a problem with a copying /proc, /dev, /sys and
23 other virtual filesystems. When I do this trick, I usually dd or tar or
24 cp -a entire filesystems and then copy / with this trick:
25
26 mount -o bind / /some/tmp/dir
27 cp -a /some/tmp/dir /some/other/dir
28
29 This ensures that only files actually on-disk are copied
30
31 alan
35 Optimists say the glass is half full,
36 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
37 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
38
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
41 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list