From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "loopback mount" hard-drive image created with dd?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:01:16
1 On Friday 18 January 2008, Jerry McBride wrote:
2 > On Friday 18 January 2008 01:01:18 pm Alan McKinnon wrote:
3
4 > > Won't work. He already said the .iso is a *disk* image, not a *file
5 > > system* image.
6 > >
7 > > The ntfs driver (or any sane file system driver) will not know what
8 > > to do with a block image complete with partition tables and boot
9 > > records.
10 > >
11 > > alan
12 >
13 > I don't doubt what you wrote, but I've done exactly that many times
14 > and never had a problem. Is this some kind of ntfs support issue?
15 >
16 > Just this morning, I ran dd to make an image of a usbstick I dearly
17 > love... I just now mounted the image as vfat as stated above and I
18 > have complete access to the data on it... Is the ntfs module that
19 > different? Just curious.
20
21 Do you have partitions on that memory stick?
24 Alan McKinnon
25 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
26 --
27 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list