From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups and snapshots [Was: Organising btrfs subvolumes]
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 09:58:54
1 On Tuesday 27 May 2014 23:35:26 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 27/05/2014 17:12, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > I have a yearly (full), monthly, weekly and daily. Each incremental is
4 > > against the most recent one of itself or longer period.
5 > > That means having to keep multiple snapshots active, which I prefer to
6 > > avoid.
7 > >
8 > > But, it is a good idea for backing up desktops and laptops.
9 >
10 > I'm curious why you have yearly snapshots. I've yet to find any sane
11 > production system where a yearly backup had any worth at all. Even
12 > monthly is pushing it...
13 >
14 > Or do you do it to have a decent start point for incrementals?
15
16 It's to have a decent start point for incrementals.
17 Below are the 2 biggest shares on the NAS:
18
19 /dev/xvda17 7.1T 5.9T 1.2T 84% /data/unsorted
20 /dev/xvda16 3.0T 2.4T 517G 83% /data/software
21
22 It is impossible to do a full backup on a daily or even weekly basis.
23
24 Previously, I had 1 full backup and then a daily incremental. This appears
25 like a good idea, untill you need to restore the filesystem from backups when
26 the crash occured 2 years later.
27 That is 1 full backup and over 700 incrementals....
28
29 Currently, I do the following:
30 Every year, a full backup
31 Then, every month, I have an incremental based on either the yearly or
32 previous monthly.
33 Ditto for the weekly (but then based on monthly or weekly)
34 And again for the daily.
37 Joost