From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Hangs at "Run /init as init process"
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 17:45:22
1 I was quite bored yesterday and having looked at the install guide recently
2 and seeing quite a few changes since the last time I did a completely new
3 install I thought I'd pound out a super simple Gentoo minimal stable
4 install as a VM in Virtualbox just to see how it went. I had no particular
5 problems with any of the build instructions. To build the kernel I used
6 'genkernel all' as an experiment. The boot loader is grub. I set almost
7 nothing by hand in my make.conf file. I have no USE flags. I had no obvious
8 problems following the install guide other than the machine didn't work.
9 (!!!) ;-)
10
11 When I boot the VM it appears to find the kernel and the initramfs, carries
12 on for a few seconds and stops at
13
14 Run /init as init process
15
16 where the boot process just hangs. In top on the host I see Virtualbox
17 spinning 1 CPU core at 100%.
18
19 QUESTIONS:
20
21 1) Anything obvious I should go back and check about the build? I've
22 remounted everything and chroot'ed in.
23
24 2) Because it says "Run /init" and not "Run /sbin/init" this problem is, I
25 assume, happening in the initramfs? I assume so as I don't see the drives
26 getting mounted, nor any messages about not finding the drives, etc. I know
27 very little about the details of the init process really. (So I'll get to
28 learn! Cool!)
29
30 3) Generically looking at a number of boot logs on the net it appears the
31 next thing it would have done would be to run udev and then start mounting
32 disks? Am I stuck in a bad initramfs or did I miss something about udev?
33
34 Thanks in advance,
35 Mark