From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which microcode gets loaded?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 16:02:42
1 On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 10:46 AM Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > No Spectre/Meltdown fixes in these files, apparently.
6 As far as I'm aware AMD has not directly released any public microcode
7 fixes to address spectre (AMD is not vulnerable to meltdown). They've
8 apparently given something to motherboard manufacturers, who may or may not
9 be putting microcode updates into firmware updates.
10
11 I think I already commented recently that I'm not particularly happy with
12 AMD's level of documentation around their microcode, or the way they
13 release updates.
14
15 As far as I'm aware linux-firmware hasn't received any spectre-related AMD
16 microcode updates. There may be important non-spectre-related updates in
17 there, however. I couldn't tell you for sure because I can't find any
18 clear documentation as to what the AMD microcode updates in linux-firmware
19 actually do.
22 Rich