From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop dual-boot rebuild - disk partition questions
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 17:23:48
1 On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Friday 02 May 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > My Windows Vista laptop ate the big one from M$ and died under the
4 > > weight of Windows Update. The hardware seems to check out fine
5 > > overnight so I'm going to finally do dual boot on this machine like I
6 > > wanted to when I bought it.
7 > >
8 > > Data:
9 > >
10 > > 80GB hard drive
11 > > 2GB DRAM
12 > >
13 > > Questions:
14 > >
15 > > 1) What's the recommended order to install dual boot today. I prefer
16 > > to go Gentoo first, XP second. Any issues?
17 >
18 > All of this is mostly my own viewpoint from experience. There may be
19 > other ways:
22 > Other way round. Windows operating systems have a nasty habit of
23 > assuming they are the only system on the machine and merrily trash
24 > everything in sight for their own nefarious purposes. Then they
25 > overwrite any existing bootloader. I do this:
26 >
27 > Install XP. If you can get it to limit the partition size it uses, so
28 > much the better
29 > Resize windows partition downwards with Linux LiveCD. Most recent ones
30 > support this.
31 > Install Linux and set up a chainloader as normal in grub to boot windows
32 > Finally boot Windows and let it do what it wants with the partitions
33 > that need checking. This is expected behaviour caused by the downward
34 > resize
37 > > 2) What recommendations do folks have about splitting an 80GB drive
38 > > up. I'm thinking of maybe 50-60GB for Gentoo, followed by Win XP
39 > > using 20-30GB at the end of the drive. Partitions? I'm considering:
40 > >
41 > > sda1 -> /boot = 50MB
42 > > sda2 -> swap (unsure whether I should dedicate 4GB to this. That's 5%
43 > > of my drive and I won't likely ever use all of 2GB or RAM.)
44 > > sda3 -> /var = 2GB
45 > > sda4 ==extended
46 > > sda5 -> / balance of Linux side, say 55GB
47 > > sda6 == Windows drive C:
48 >
49 > Again, you have to take account of windows brain-deadedness and the even
50 > greater braindeadedness of windows "administrators". They don't expect
51 > boot partitions....
52 >
53 > I would allocate as little as possible for windows itself. Say 10G,
54 > which allows for the OS plus it's virtual memory file plus other cache
55 > stuff
56 >
57 > From sda2 onwards, lay out your partitions as for a regular Linux
58 > installation. Use your own preferences for swap, lvm, filesystems etc.
59 > Being able to share data between both OSes is useful, so leave the most
60 > space possible for data: You have two options:
61 >
62 > FAT32. This is gross and gives you no security. It's also the easiest as
63 > both OSes support it out the box.
64 > Ext3/ReiserFS: Better solution security-wise but requires some setup.
65 > You have to download and install windows drivers from sourceforge.
66 >
67 > There's a third option - use the ntfs-ng driver in Linux. It seems just
68 > silly to use this for your main data storage though.
71 First, thanks to everyone for the quick answers.
72
73 1) I'll go with Windows first. That's relatively fast and if I run
74 into hardware problems it will show up more quickly which is good.
75 Saves me the time of doing the Gentoo install and then finding issues.
76
77 2) If I do Windows first then /dev/sda1 will be NTFS. Does this change
78 how I install grub? I'm a little fuzzy as to where the MBR is. Is it
79 in the first partition or in a special area by itself? The commands
80 from the install guide is this:
81
82 livecd conf.d # grub
83 grub> root (hd0,0)
84 grub> setup (hd0)
85 quit
86
87 I presume I'll use
88
89 grub> root(hd0,4)
90
91 to point at my root and still use
92
93 grub> setup (hd0) to get grub installed into the MBR?
94
95 Thanks,
96 Mark
97 --