From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 08:33:25
1 On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 14:05:28 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > I think we've just gotten into a mode where we automate user
4 > configuration instead of eliminating the need for it.
5
6 That's a good way of looking at it.
7
8 Most USE flags are not set by the user by by the profile. By selecting a
9 particular profile you are telling portage to set up suitable defaults
10 for, say, a KDE desktop. Portage should be able to continue to manage
11 that situation and, if a different USE setting is required for a
12 particular situation, and nothing in the user's own settings overrides
13 it, portage should be able to take the appropriate action.
14
15 The other way of looking at it, from this particular situation, is that
16 maybe he USE system is being forced to take care of more than it was
17 supposed to. Should ABI_* settings even be part of USE?
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 A friend in need may turn out to be a nuisance.