From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HP A8 laptop install
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 05:57:18
1 On Tuesday 15 May 2012 01:27:25 Stroller wrote:
2 > On 14 May 2012, at 20:12, James wrote:
3 > > …
4 > > I inserted a 12.0 lived DVD. It put for
5 > > small gentoo symbols across the top, then went
6 > > blank after 3 minutes. The DVD drive was very active
7 > > for about 5 minutes then silence?
8 > >
9 > > Any suggestions or install guides are most welcome.
10 >
11 > I boot from a SystemRescueCD and follow the Gentoo quick install guide.
12 >
13 > This has never failed me.
14
15 +1 for the SystemRescueCD which tends to be kept more up to date that the
16 Gentoo LiveCD used to be.
17
18 If there is a possibility of having to re-expand the MSWindows partition and
19 taking it back to Costco I would recommend reading an old thread of mine here:
20
21 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/226452/focus=226560
24 If you don't want to read the whole thread, you'll have to at least read this
25 message where I explain how to edit the MSWindows boot menu:
26
27 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/226452/focus=226560
30 Unlike other bootloaders it does not interfere much with the original
31 installation and you can easily reverse the edits in the MSWindows boot menu
32 and re-expand the original partition before you return the laptop to Costco.
35 Regards,
36 Mick