From: Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] keyboard copy paste
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:09:33
1 On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 11:13:02 -0500
2 Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Now I want to paste whats on the clipboard into an Xterm cmd line,
5 > without going to the mouse.
6 >
7 > I'm running recent Xfce4 desktop... but not finding a way to do this.
8 >
9 > Can I just steal whatever events happen when middle click on three
10 > button mouse and put them into a keyboard shortcut?
11 >
12 > How might I do that?
13
14 Shift+Ins is indeed a way, but not applicable in some cases (like
15 pasting into x-only app, say, field in a browser) and 'middle-mouse'
16 buffer is quite volatile, so I have a shortcut in wm (on Super+V)
17 which does this:
18
19 xclip -out -selection primary | xclip -in -selection clipboard
20
21 After that, Ctrl+V will insert 'middle-mouse' stuff into any app.
22
23 Same xclip app is a great way to avoid the mouse (or touchpad) in many
24 cases, especially to copy-paste long command outputs - you just pipe it
25 into xclip (or it's alias w/ appropriate buffer pre-set) and paste where
26 it's needed.
29 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net