From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: Gentoo as ESXi guest: how to install vmware-tools/open-vm-tools?
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 17:10:02
1 Hi,
2
3 this might be a little off-topic, but maybe someone here
4 is running Gentoo on top of VMware/ESXi and could help me.
5 I'm trying to install gentoo-server as vmware esxi guest,
6 but I'm stuck with vmware-tools/open-vm-tools.
7
8 First I tried "vmware-tools". Installation went smoot, but
9 nothing happened. Just one iso-image got installed in /opt.
10 No doc/readme/txt, nothing. What should I do with it?
11
12 Then I tried "open-vm-tools" thinking it might be better.
13 But installation of open-vm-tools-kmod failed with message:
14
15 "CONFIG_DRM_VMWGFX: is not set when it should be"
16
17 I'm not sure what this option is good for (searched kernel
18 config with grep and did not find it at all), but I think
19 it has something to do with graphics, which I do not want
20 to use on server. Unfortunatelly, open-vm-tools-kmod does
21 not have any use-flags so I can not turn 3d off and I am
22 stuck again.
23
24 All I expect from vmware/open-vm-tools is ability for clean
25 shutdown of gentoo-guest in similar way as I can do it with
26 windows-guest. How can I achieve this?
27
28 Jarry
32 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
33 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.