From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Connecting a network printer
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 23:32:08
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I have a Lexmark C2425 colour laser, which used to be detected automatically
5 > but now isn't. I can connect it over USB, but I'd like to use IPP or HTTP.
6 >
7 > This is a stable amd64 box, and CUPS is installed thus:
8 > net-print/cups-2.3.3_p2-r3::gentoo USE="X acl dbus pam ssl threads usb
9 > zeroconf -debug -kerberos (-selinux) -static-libs -systemd -xinetd"
10 > ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"
11 >
12 > Two questions:
13 >
14 > 1. What else do I need to do for the printer to be detectable?
15 > 2. The guides I've found say I can set it up manually with ipp://hostname/
16 > printers/printername. What is 'printername'? Is it just arbitrary?
17 >
18 > Clues, anyone?
19 >
20 > TiA.
24 I have a very similar printer and this is my settings from CUPS:
28 Location:    Local Printer
29 Driver:    C2325dw - IPP Everywhere (color, 2-sided printing)
30 Connection:    ipp://192.168.0.102
33 If I recall correctly, the printer uses DHCP so I let it pick its first
34 IP itself and then I think I set it to use that from then on.  I have a
35 cell phone that connects to and don't want them switching IPs on me.  It
36 uses IPP to communicate.  If you want to access the printer directly, to
37 see toner cartridge levels, adjust printer settings etc, just point a
38 browser to the IP address.
39
40 If you are connecting to a router, I'd access the router and see if the
41 router is seeing the printer first thing.  If you require passwords, you
42 may need to enter the password on the printer panel, I did.  Once you
43 can access the printer in a web browser, you can adjust things easier.
44
45 Does that help any?
46
47 Dale