From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 20:28:49
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:45 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I am thinking of upgrading from a FX-5200 with 128Mb video card to a GeForce
5 >> 6200 with 512MB. It will be AGP since this is a older rig. My system is
6 >> something like this:
7 >>
8 >> Mobo: Abit NF7 2.0
9 >> CPU: AMD 2500+ No overclocking
10 >> Memory: 2Gbs of 333Mhz.
11 >> Monitor: Gateway 19" running 1280 x 1024
12 >>
13 > Based on the selection at Newegg, I would highly recommend going with
14 > one of the Radeon HD 3650 or 4650 cards which only cost a little more
15 > than the one you're looking at. HD3650 is going to be 5x faster than
16 > GeForce 6200 and HD4650 probably 10x faster.
17 >
18 > I think your motherboard supports AGP 8x, and I'm not sure if there
19 > are any power supply considerations or other features (number of DVI
20 > heads, etc) but anyway that's my 2 cents. :)
21 >
22 > I am an Nvidia video card guy through and through, but in this case
23 > the AGP Nvidia cards on offer there are ancient and slow compared to
24 > their ATI counterparts.
28 I'm a nvidia guy. I'm not big on ATI at all. Just sort of not my cup
29 of tea. I have read they have better Linux support than a long time ago
30 but they came in a little to late for me.
31
32 I just wish that thing had a bigger heat sink on it with fans. I may
33 change that thing pretty quick.
34
35 Thanks.
36