From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Movies from phone and camera, using vlc and mplayer
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 22:44:52
1 On 24 Jul 2010, at 07:54, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > ...
3 > The camera produces .mov files which file says are Apple QuickTime
4 > movie (unoptimized).
5 >
6 > The phone produces .3gp movies which file says are ISO Media, MPEG v4
7 > system, 3GPP.
8 >
9 > I also download youtube .flv movies which file says are mostly MPEG v4
10 > system, version 2, but once in a while are Macromedia Flash Video.
11
12 This is not an adequate way of identifying the files.
13
14 See my previous explanation of codecs and containers at:
15 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/215196#215196
18 You should identify your files thus:
19
20 mplayer -vo null -ao null -identify -endpos 1 myfile.xyz
23 > I sent some phone .3gp movies to a friend with Windows. Won't play.
24
25 Possibly not an ideal answer, but Quicktime Player has certainly
26 played back some .3gp movies here on my Mac. Your friend might try
27 installing that on his PC. VLC is also available for Windows.
28
29 Stroller.