From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] synaptics support in xorg
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:06:57
1 On Tuesday 30 June 2009 02:44:10 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > According to 'The X Server Configuration HOWTO'
5 >
6 > "If you use alternative input devices, such as a Synaptics touchpad
7 > for a laptop, be sure to add it to INPUT_DEVICES. "
8 >
9 > So I put in make.conf INPUT_DEVICES="mouse keyboard synaptics" and did
10 > emerge -pv xorg-server.
11 >
12 > In the output after INPUT_DEVICES I saw keyboard, mouse and evdev in
13 > red and synaptics in blue with a minus sigh. So I removed keyboard and
14 > mouse from the line in make.conf. Same result. Don't know where evdev
15 > comes from; I never specified it anywhere.
16 >
17 > Only by explicitly entering INPUT_DEVICES="synaptics" emerge -pv
18 > xorg-server was I able to see, after INPUT_DEVICES in the output, the
19 > word synaptics in green with an asterisk at the end. The words evdev,
20 > keyboard and mouse appear further along in the output, also in green
21 > ending in asterisks but preceeded with a minus sign. And, that was
22 > after re-adding mouse and keyboard to INPUT_DEVICES in make.conf.
23 >
24 > Questions:
25 >
26 > Is this the right way to go? Why won't portage accept what's in
27 > make.conf in this case? It accepts my USE flags and my VIDEO_CARDS
28 > entry. What's with the green and the asterisk? Is the doc wrong? I
29 > note it was updated just three weeks ago.
30 >
31 > Maxim
32
33 What X server version?
34
35 try this:
36
37 INPUT_DEVICES="mouse keyboard synaptics"
38 in make.conf
39
40 Colour codes:
41
42 Red enabled
43 Blue disabled
44 Green changed
45
46 and the asterisks are described in man emerge section "--verbose"
47
48 INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" is likely default on in your profile
49 --
50 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com