From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I get larger fonts in X ?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 07:55:10
1 George Garvey wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 11:28:44PM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >
4 >>Although it seems like your X dpi setting should match the physical
5 >>resolution of your monitor, it can be used to tweak font sizes. There is
6 >>an X -dpi command line setting documented in the Xserver manpage and a
7 >>DisplaySize directive that can go in your xorg.conf file. The xdpyinfo
10 > But his stated aim is to increase font sizes, and use gimp at a
11 > higher resolution. Changing the DPI would mess up his expectations
12 > about gimp, as I understood them. He might as well stick to the lower
13 > resolution he prefers.
14
15 Yeah, I agree, changing the dpi is an ugly hack. ;-) It should match the physical resolution.
16
17 > I have a similar problem, due to a large monitor size coupled with
18 > 2304x1440 resolution. Font sizes for most X programs can be changed,
19 > including widow managers. Most of the web sites out there refuse to
20 > respect settings about font sizes put in browsers, though. It is
21 > annoying. Only thing I know to do is change zoom factors (and Firefox
22 > doesn't make that easy as far as I know: Opera did), squint and hope
23 > you don't ruin your eyes, or change X resolutions on the fly
24 > (Ctl-Alt-+, etc.).
25
26 I know of a couple text size related extensions for firefox.
27
28 http://www.splintered.co.uk/extensions/
29 https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&category=Miscellaneous&numpg=10&id=55
30
31 > Web sites have really lowered my respect for graphic artists, which
32 > used to be quite high when I worked in the print medium. They don't
33 > seem to get how to design with relationships instead of exact numbers.
34 > Wierd to me that an "artist" doesn't understand using relationships.
35
36 Overuse of pixel measurements is a sign of someone without a clue. ;-)
37
38 Zac
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list