From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 18:41:44
1 On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 01:32:23PM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > But what confuses me about that linked page is that from what I've heard
3 > from others here, option 1 - which is the option I think I'd prefer -
4 > requires more than just symlinking 80-net-name-slot.rules to
5 > /dev/null...? Apparently you should also create your own
6 > 70-my-net-names.rules - but I've heard many people claim they used ethX
7 > names instead of netX names, so... again... should I just rename my file
8 > to 70-my-net-names.rules and leave the contents alone?
9
10 symlinking /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules to /dev/null does
11 the same thing as adding net.ifnames=0 to your kernel command line, so
12 choose one or the other of these.
13
14 Neither of these is needed if you want to have your own names,
15 because naming the interfaces yourself in /etc/uev/70-net-names.rules or
16 whatever you call the file overrides udev's predictable names.
17
18 If people are using ethx names and getting away with it it is probably
19 because they are loading the drivers as modules, or by chance the kernel
20 is initializing the cards in the order they expect. There is no
21 guarantee that will stay consistent.
22
23 I recommend using netx names.
24