From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 23:29:23
1 On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 6:55 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Dale wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Interesting info. Since this is a duplicate copy already, I'm not to
6 > > worried about RAID stuff. I'd rather have two separate backups myself.
7 > > Store them in different places for even more safety. Still, one of
8 > > these days. ;-)
9 > >
10 > > I'm still getting this error.
11 > >
12 > > root@fireball ~ # mkdir /mnt/Backup/Videos
13 > > mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/mnt/Backup/Videos’: Permission denied
14 > > root@fireball ~ #
15 > >
16 > > I've tried every permission in every place I can find. I have a user
17 > > set up, set permissions under storage and pools, all the little
18 > > directory thingys under it too. It mounts so I'd think I got everything
19 > > set up correctly in the Share section. I actually followed a guide and
20 > > I don't think I missed anything. Still, I can't write anything to the
21 > > thing. It mounts fine, even shows it is mounted rw. I can't find
22 > > anything wrong on the puter or NAS ends. This reminds me of the last
23 > > time I played with BSD. It works so different, it just throws a person
24 > > upside down and shakes them.
25 > >
26 > > I did switch to TrueNAS tho. Thing is, I got the same result from both,
27 > > exact same error. Can't be a bug. It has to be me. No idea what I
28 > > missed but I bet I did. lol Just gonna keep banging on it. :-D I do
29 > > like the GUI part. That's pretty neat.
30 > >
31 > > Dale
32 > >
33 > > :-) :-)
37 > Update. I thought about just using Dolphin to play with the directory
38 > that's actually on the NAS. I could create folders and files just fine
39 > with Dolphin. Well, isn't that interesting. Finally I found a comment
40 > with google that gave me a clue. I needed to change the options I use
41 > with rsync plus it appears on my computer, I need to su to dale, same
42 > user as on NAS. Now it works. I can rsync my files over.
43 >
44 > Then I noticed something else. The network card in the NAS box, it's a
45 > old 100MB card. Has anyone ever poured cold molasses before? Does
46 > waiting on leap year sound familiar? ROFL Just saying.
47 >
48 > Hey, at least I got the silly thing to work, slowly, but works. :/
49 >
50 > Dale
51 >
52 > :-) :-)
53
54 Congrats on making progress.
55
56 Is this still FreeNAS or did you switch to TrueNAS Core?
57
58 Yeah, 100Mb/S, or say 12MB/S takes days to move
59 multiple Terrabytes. I did it inside of a screen session so that
60 I could disconnect and leave it running in the background
61 without having to watch cold molasses flow. I'm looking
62 to upgrade everything to 2.5Gb/S or higher one of these
63 days but once the initial backup is done regular backups
64 are reasonably fast.
65
66 I was disappointed in the info Frank found about not being
67 able to bond Pools, but it still makes me wonder if someone
68 could create a 14TB RAID0 outside of the pool and then bond
69 that RAID0 with a 14TB drive to make a 14TB ZFS RAID1.
70
71 Not looking to do it myself though... ;-)
72
73 - Mark